The Canadian Centre for Cyber Security (Cyber Centre), part of the Communications Security Establishment, joined the following international partners in publishing a report calling out Russian cyber actors responsible for conducting a new malware campaign against the Ukrainian military:
- Australian Signals Directorate (ASD)
- New Zealand’s National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC-NZ)
- UK National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC)
- US Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA)
- US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- US National Security Agency (NSA)
The report describes how the malware, dubbed Infamous Chisel, is used to target Android devices used by the Ukrainian military and attributes its use to the threat actor known as Sandworm. Sandworm has previously been attributed to the Russian GRU. The united show of support follows Ukraine exposing the malware operations earlier this month.