The Government of Canada has a critical role to play in protecting the information of Canadians. Without proper IT security measures, your organization is vulnerable and at risk of compromise. Stolen information, damaged reputations, and lost resources are scenarios that no organization wants to face.
The Cyber Centre's advice and guidance will help you build a strong IT infrastructure and protect your networks. Our Top 10 IT Security Actions were selected and prioritized based on our analysis of cyber threat trends affecting Internet-connected networks. When implemented as a set, the Top 10 help minimize intrusions or the impacts to a network if a successful cyber intrusion occurs.
Figure 1: Top 10 IT security actions
Long description - Figure 1: Top 10 IT security actions
- Consolidate, monitor, and defend Internet gateways
- Patch operating systems and applications
- Enforce the management of administrative privileges
- Harden operating systems and applications
- Segment and separate information
- Provide tailored training
- Protect information at the enterprise level
- Apply protection at the host level
- Isolate web-facing applications
- Implement application allow lists
View our Top 10 video series
Want to know more about the benefits of the Top 10? We’ve got you covered.
Make your internet connection work for you, not threat actors. Learn more about the benefits.
Do you have an automated patch management framework in place? Learn more about why this is critical to your operations.
Do you regularly review who has administrative privileges on your networks? Learn more about why you should.
Do you know where and how your information is stored on your networks? Learn more about why this is important.